AirHelp, a dot.com organization devoted to ensuring air passenger rights across the globe, has released results of its recent assessment of airports and airlines. AirHelp’s annual study aims to give passengers useful information when making decisions on where to book flights; including evaluations of the independent performance of airlines arriving and departing at airports.
AirHelp’s 7th annual study of 132 airports located in major cities around the world, serves as air travelers’ guide for 2019. Qatar’s Hamad International Airport emerged in the number one spot of AirHelp’s list of Top 10 Best Airports, followed by Japan’s Tokyo International Airport and Greece’s Athens International Airport in the 2nd and 3rd positions, respectively.
In contrast, the facilities that landed at the lowest position of the list of 132 airports evaluated, are Eindhoven Airport, Netherlands at No. 130, Kuwait International Airport at No. 131 and Lisbon Portela Airport at No. 132, making them the worst facilities for global air travel.
How AirHelp Establishes Rankings
Rankings were arrived based on data sourced from multiple commercial vendors, from 40,000 passenger surveys gathered from 40 countries in 2018, and AirHelp’s own database of related information.
Evaluations centered on three major factors, namely on-time performance, quality of service, and lastly, food and shopping choices. On time performance accounts for 60 percent of the overall score, with the remaining 40% divided equally between the two other factors.
Complementing AirHelp’s list of top best and worst performing airports is a ranking of the leading global airlines. They were assessed as such for flying on time and for furnishing the best service, as well as for extending the best passenger treatment whenever problems occur. The three top performing global airlines are Qatar Airways, American Airlines and Aeromexico, as they are ranked in that particular order.
Complete List of World’s Best Airports According to AirHelp
- Hamad International Airport, Qatar
- Tokyo International Airport, Japan
- Athens International Airport, Greece
- Afonso Pena International Airport, Brazil
- Gdansk Lech Wałęsa Airport, Poland
- Sheremetyevo International Airport, Russia
- Changi Airport Singapore, Singapore
- Rajiv Gandhi International Airport, India
- Tenerife North Airport, Spain
- Viracopos/Campinas International Airport, Brazil
Complete List of World’s Worst Airports According to AirHelp
123. London Gatwick Airport, United Kingdom
124. Billy Bishop Toronto City Airport, Canada
125. Porto Airport, Portugal
126. Paris Orly Airport, France
127. Manchester Airport, United Kingdom
128. Malta International Airport, Malta
129. Henri Coanda International Airport, Romania
130. Eindhoven Airport, Netherlands
131. Kuwait International Airport, Kuwait
132. Lisbon Portela Airport, Portugal